Thursday, September 13, 2012

Butterflies Under Glass

I love going to the Museum of Natural History in New York and looking at all of the bugs and butterflies behind glass.  OK, big fan of the Wooly Mammoths too, but I couldn't figure out a way to put one of those under glass.  I've seen similar versions of these glass encased butterflies selling for some serious cash, so I decided to make my own for The Big Ass Book of Home Decor (Abrams 2010).  Check out your local craft stores for hand painted feather butterflies.  For a twist on this, you might want to have the kids paint butterflies and switch them out for the ones I used.
One of my early versions
Some of my latest 
Watch the quick video!
(Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel)


STUFF YOU'LL NEED
1 -2 packages of different sized feather butterflies
Hot glue and glue gun
Twigs from your yard
Glass Vase
Glass Candle Plate (make sure the candle plate covers the mouth of the glass vase)
2"x2" or 3"x3" wood blocks
Drill with 1/4" drill bit


HERE'S HOW
1. Drill a hole in our 2" x 2" piece of wood so that a twig can fit into the hole
2. Insert your twig and hold it in place with some hot glue or E-6000
3.  Measure the inside of the vase and cut your twigs to size so that the twigs fit inside of the vase when it's upside down
4. Carefully glue the butterflies in place on the twigs
5. Keep putting the vase (upside down) over the twigs with the butterflies to make sure that you have enough room inside
6.  When you're done gluing all of the butterflies on the twigs, cover and glue the vase to the candle plate to keep it from shifting around
For (over) 100 more projects, grab a copy of

7 comments:

  1. Wow Mark - that is fabulous! Didn't even know you had a Home Decor Book. Check out this variation that I made back for earth day...using a recycled liquor bottle dome...http://tinyurl.com/8fynlba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally going to make this for my mom for christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous-I'm seeing some great holiday variations in my brain.Thank you Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea Mark. I have been wanting to do some quilled butterflies, under glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how fun is this! Fabulous idea Mark!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How they look amazing I'm going to give it a go thank you

    ReplyDelete